PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I knocked back Cathay
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2011, 15:55
ChinaBeached

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also on hold since 2008.

I have many friends at CX and have all the CoS paperwork to compare what they are offering us against what we were told we would be offered. In a nutshell, it's about 1/3 of the package we should have been offered.

The devil is in the details. The housing allowance: not marked against fluctuations in the housing market in HKG as the others have. The "forgivable loan"... Now would you take out ANY loan without knowing the entire [legal] details? Is it taxable? Is it paid in full or month by month for how long? Is it paid in cash? Too many variables and to me it's code for "bond" that is illegal in HKG hence tarted up to be different. In the pre-interview presentation we were told that CX offer the (original) housing allowance as they firmly believe expats coming to HK should not suffer a loss of lifestyle in their move. Seems they don't quite believe that anymore. Funny how a record breaking profit can change opinions.

And the interview: So we have to reinterview to a far, FAR higher standard than these CEP's did only to be sat next them in ADL for 3 months? A rule for them and a rule for us? And did the CEPS have to fly a 747 Classic on raw data, no FD's or AT from Kai Tak, following the backcourse, OEI procedures, etc, etc. The DESO's of yesterday went to AD for approx 28 days, even those without ATP's / ATPL's but now "we" need 3 months?

And what of seniority? We'll have a number lower than a kid with ZERO flying hours. Potentially never getting a Cmd (depending on your age of course. Latest AOA figures suggest 18-25 years from memory, ie the AOA updates my friends send me. Correct me if I'm wrong). How does that make you feel?

$35,170 per month is dependent on flying (loose term) 84 hrs a month. My understanding is that you will very, very rarely make beds or eat sandwiches this much as SO: typically 70 hrs a month. (Someone confirm? This is what my friends tell me). So for every hour worked under 84 hrs per month = $3,517 LESS per month from $35,170. Now....reduce that again by a ballpark 15% for tax. Buy an apartment then the housing allowance just became taxable as well.

"Discretionary Bonus" of 13th month pay became the norm when management decided that the 13th month bonus was interpreted by them as a pay rise and hence they were not obliged to pay it: and so they didn't and won't if at their "discretion" they don't feel like it. The AOA fought this and lost. BUT! If you are in management then you'll receive a bonus even when you are caught for price fixing or screwing up the fuel hedging costing the airline MILLIONS. Go figure. Check out other threads on the bonuses these guys give themselves.

Those in upper management making these decisions have ruined a once great, once the best airline in the world. Legacy? Wow... they'll receive HUGE bonuses for what they've done. How proud they must be to destroy something that was regarded as so great. If you've seen what CX has become over the past 3-5 years then you'll know what they are capable of.

The HR team have been nothing but absolutely pleasure to deal with over the last (very nearly!) 3 years. Thank you.

We each must make our own decision. Trust me there are FAR better jobs out there if you search. We deserve what we interviewed for. Anything less is an insult.

For me, it's a DEFINITE NO WAY. It's not the money. It's the integrity of the once great airline that has no integrity what's so ever to have treated us & it's present pilot body the way they have. I've worked too hard to be treated like this. I won't be wasting their time or mine to sit in a Godforsaken uncomfortable as hell A330 Y class bucket seat for xx hours to be told my value as a pilot is worth only 30% of what it was (nearly) 3 years ago. After all, this is aviation and there'll be a kid praying I don't take the offer so he/she can do it for less anyway.

Pay bananas you get monkeys.