PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Churchill and uniforms
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2011, 12:47
ICM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Churchill - A Different Angle

Thanks to 'Options for Change,' RAF Germany ceased to exist as an independent RAF command on 31 March 1993, and the HQ reduced considerably in size as it became a Group HQ (2 Gp) within RAF Strike Command. This decision reduced the RAF officer population at JHQ Rheindahlen considerably and, as the RAF Officers' Mess building was the largest of the messes on the garrison, it was decided that it should become a joint RAF/Army mess. But how was it to be known? In the spirit of 'jointery,' the name 'Churchill Mess' was agreed upon. So far, so good - but with such a name, there would clearly have to be a picture of the great man near the entrance ..... but how attired? With a degree of urgency, the RAF cadre set about acquiring a suitable picture of him in RAF uniform, and was able to present that to the Mess - I think at the first Dining-In night - and in such circumstances that the picture had to be given pride of place!

And so it remained .... for just 3 years. HQ 2 Gp was wound-up on 31 March 1996, further reducing the RAF population, and the premises were taken-over by the NATO ARRC HQ, in effect becoming an Army mess. At that point, most of us left ..... and, I guess, so too did Churchill in RAF uniform. (And I'm happy to relate that the last Churchill Mess function was my retirement dinner.)