PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unionism is dead outside of AIPA & FAAA
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2002, 13:37
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Caynine, I've said it before and I'll say it again that AIPA can't go anywhere marketing itself for new members, the membership of airline X have to approach AIPA as a group and ask to be represented.

That said, a union is only as good as it's weakest member and ultimately, it is the resolve of the individuals within that membership to ensure how weak or strong your union is. Strong unions require both strong (and effective) leadership as well as a strong sense of unity within the membership.

Those that bag out AIPA as being ham strung etc need to see the reality of unions as they are, not how they want them to be. Based upon reality, the job AIPA does is pretty good. Not perfect, but it could be a LOT worse. Last EBA was one of the better ones we've ever had- despite protestations about no pay rise. Also, they could have played hard ball on going for current pay and conditions on Australian and they would have lost that flying forever to the former AN 767 drivers still wanting to get back in the saddle and had that flying go to 'others' forever- ultimately to the expense of some QF jobs as Australian expands into some former QF routes.

Sure, the pay IS a small drop (about 5% from what I can gather for a Captain, F/Os depending on seniorority could take a pay rise!!) and some of the conditions aren't there but at least the guarantee of future opportunities is still there for the pilot group and surely THAT has to be 'in the best interests' of the (overall) membership. Some individual members may believe they are worse off but the overall membership is in a better position now because of that flying being crewed by QF crew.

You watch every man and his dog apply for the southern base when it opens!!!

I think I know where AN LAME is coming from but because he or she makes a smart alec comment without leaving any further thoughts it is hard to work out how fair dinkum he or she is!