PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MPL - the good, the bad (and the ugly)...
Old 16th Mar 2011, 09:44
Albanian Seahorse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPL - the good, the bad (and the ugly)...

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn about the MPL... so I've made a list of the good and bad things I can think of, and maybe you can add to it??

If I'm wrong, or if you disagree, please say

The Good
- Training will be for an MPL in a specific aircraft, with a specific operator. Assuming the operator doesn't go bust, you'll have a job afterwards.
- From what I've read, training is more focused and relevant to the job you'll be doing after training (i.e. commercial airline pilot). So, you should be even better prepared for what you going to do (although I'm not implying that conventional training routes don't prepare you).
- After logging 1500 hours - around 2 years of working for an airline - you can convert the MPL to a full ATPL, and can therefore apply to any airline anywhere.

The Bad
- Because you're tied to one aircraft at one airline until you get your 1500 hours, the airline can use and abuse you all they want, cos you can't go elsewhere!
- If the airline goes bust before the MPL is issued, you will get a CPL/IR. So you must still pay to upgrade to a frozen ATPL, and no job guarantee.

Questions
- If the airline goes bust between getting your MPL and logging 1500 hours, you will be left with an £80,000 MPL tied to one aircraft at an airline that now doesn't exist. Is that you bugg@red??
- How employable are you with an ATPL gained from an ATPL + 1500 hours. Specifically, how employable compared to someone who trained for an ATPL the conventional way, who has also been employed for ~2 years (i.e. similar training cost, training time, time employed and hours logged)?

Please reply with your thoughts... yes you are answering my questions but I hope many more can get something useful from this thread

Thanks!