PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pics we'd love to jump into!
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2002, 12:21
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually I spent an enjoyable 30 minutes looping and rolling a friends DH82a over South Stradbroke Island a few weeks ago....after a 9 year hiatus from the type

My third loop and third roll were good enough to ellicit a whoop of joy down the Gosport tube from t'other cockpit

Rather a strong 'crosswind' was evident in the last half of the first 'barrel roll', slightly reduced in the second before dissappearing completely in the third

I used to dream about how much fun it would be flying skiis in the winter and floats in the summer...then I heard the stories from a couple of Canuck buddies about preflights in the dark and -15degC, preheating engines before starting...or taking the oil out after last flight and setting it by the open fire in your cabin so it wouldn't turn to black, cold sludge overnight

Then I was glad my formative years were in ISA + 20 and 85% humidity

Young Chuck in simpler times

I also remember my first few hours in Tigers logged in mid winter in NSW....even all rugged up it was BLOODY COLD....not that the cold ever slowed me down....young, dum and full of cum

I wonder if we could show a picture of a C185 or 182RG cockpit to a Tiger pilot of the 1930s what he would say?

What am I saying ...I think I'll go back to your post Slasher and sniff the cut grass mingling with oil and 'av spirit'

Chuck.

PS. Castor oil guys? No rotary engines in sight!