PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HIT BIRDS... Would you return?
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2011, 23:55
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
In my time I've suffered quite a number of birdstrikes and I always would land asap.

In UK any birdstrike is supposed to be notified to the CAA, not just ones causing damage to an aircraft.

As has been pointed out already, birds will usually get out of the way (although some will not). They do tend to "break" downwards rather than go up. Another reason not to try avoid them by "bunting"downwards (pun unintended) is because you expose the windscreen and your face to the bird. Best pull up if you can. Difficult in the climb, I know.

I once suffered a strike by an unknown but very large bird after midnight at 500 feet above the sea during a night casevac with the patient on board. After landing we saw that the outline of the bird was "painted" on the structure, it was over a metre in span. Thankfully it impacted above the windscreens and it had it's wings wrapped around the front of the aircraft. The only thing I saw of it was that the ground lights ahead were briefly obscured by it. It seemed to hit the only place on the aircraft where it couldn't do damage. If it had come through the windscreen or hit the pitch change rods I might not have been here to write about it.