PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado F3: 25 Years of Air Defence
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2011, 20:19
soddim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were a fighter pilot, Tourist, you would have to have some kind of death wish to face up to a weapons system including the latest missiles and a good radar plus the avionics to provide situational awareness of the kind a Tornado F3 crew have enjoyed for the last few years. That should make it clear to you that there would be considerable risk to your well-being no matter what you were flying.

Yes, there are better fighters around but I bet none of their pilots would relish the opportunity to expose themselves to the risk either. Yes, they would do it if they had to but I bet they would not volunteer.

You should also understand that the days when superior skill and cunning always allowed you to survive air combat are long gone. Nowadays any young man with the latest technology and the ability to use it can completely ruin your day.

The point you need to understand before you annoy any more people who know what the F3 is like from first hand experience is that the aircraft and weapons system started out completely useless as a fighter but many people worked very hard to improve it for many years. Unfortunately, people like you have heard of its' early reputation and assumed that nothing much has changed. People like me know what the changes have been and what it is now capable of and I try again to explain to you that it is now a very capable system - nobody is saying it is the best fighter around but it is nevertheless bloody good at its' job today.

Finally, I would suggest to you that you accept that any knowledge you have of the F3 is at least outdated and more likely just plain wrong.