PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado F3: 25 Years of Air Defence
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2011, 19:18
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash 2

You just had to go and be reasonable and ruin my fun!

I don't actually have anything special against the F3.
It is like nearly everything we get. Flawed but we make the most of it usually through the efforts of the operators.
That said, I think it is very important to be realistic about our kit.

It was the statements "Little did I realise how astonishingly capable this weapons system has become" from BEagle, and "I would like to reassure Tourist and any other misinformed readers that I would not have liked to fight against an F3 for real in any other aircraft during the last few years."
from soddim that I decided not to let pass.

In "the last few years" the F3's competitors are the F15, F22 and Su27, and not one single poster on here has given one metric to support the argument that it is superior to any of them. Capability is all about comparison to competitors, and it only has an astonishing capability compared to it's own far from illustrious beginings.

It is just farcical to pretend that just because the F3 is all we have had for a long time that it has become some kind of legendary fighter. We all know, even F3 crew, that if we were able to change the procurement decision back then we would have tried to get F15 under license.

The rest is just the noble art of Crab baiting