PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dash 8 Q400
Thread: Dash 8 Q400
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2011, 16:32
Keith Blackham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dash 8 Q400

A qestion for Q400 pilots: Having flow around the UK and it's shores in turbo props for almost 50 years I grown fond of them. However, the Q400 is like no other and I cannot appreciate why that should be. Turbo props have a progressive fight performance but the Q400 is entirely different. All changes in pitch and roll are abrupt and mechanical. Approaches tend to be far from smooth and controlled with the aircraft continually moving in a seemingly uncontrolled fashon particularly on short finals. Full flap approaches seem to exasipate matters and I get the feeling that the two guys/ gals up front will be glad to reach the ground safely. Certainly the aircraft has an impressive performance and could it be this factor which which leads to a bumpy ride as those props must move a vast amount of air. The 200 series is a delight to fly in and the 300 similar but not the 400. Flybe seem to have minimised full flap approaches with engines roaring and that inevitable 'hanging' feeling. Please let me have your views on my experiences. Thank you.