PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - age cut-off limits for airlines
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2011, 11:57
Nubboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all a question of supply and demand. Carriers normally look for experience commensurate with age, especially when loads of people are looking. Some carriers prefer ex military types, others Oxford cadets. My own company has a history of taking a broad range of people which I think is very healthy.
At the moment in the UK top of the tree "legacy" carriers are looking for experienced rated pilots to enter as FO. And getting them as people bail out of other jobs.
At the bottom loco's are taking pay 2 fly cadets on fixed short term deals, and cherry picking those they want to keep. Then repeating the cycle.
Pay2fly seems to be a mixture of types of people. Not all are low houred or just out of school.
I also was a late starter, licences at 34, didn't get my first job til 38. However this was 20 years ago and I was a very experienced PPL. Even then I had to work the GA, Regional, turboprop route to get a jet job.
Deep pockets and a willingness to relocate, and a big slice of luck will certainly be rquirements to get yourself established.