PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado F3: 25 Years of Air Defence
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2011, 09:08
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am enjoying the incongruity of being told that I don't know what I am talking about by members of the RAF AD community.

I am RN. You know, that service that has been shooting down enemy aircraft since WW2 on a regular basis? And I am not just talking about Harriers. The fleet has many people who have actually shot down aircraft from ships.

The RAF helicopter guys have been doing their thing week in week out for real since they were set up. They know their capabilities. Not what they think they can do, but what they can actually do.
The AT fleet ditto.
The GR fleet ditto
The Rocks have also spent the last few years getting themselves very dirty.

The AD fleet has never, ever actually found out if it can do what all the sims and exercises make them think they can do. No missile has left a rail in anger. Those that actually do their jobs know that reality and exercises are very different.
You are the guys that do not know what you are talking about.
Nothing in well over half a century, and you talk about defending us from the USSR!!!

First I am told that the airframe limitations are unimportant due to the combat systems, then when I suggest using a C130 I am told that it does, in fact, matter.
I am told that the F3 is the match for anything out there, but everyone says we need Typhoon.

You are embarassing yourselves.