PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colour vision restriction & instructor rating
Old 15th Mar 2011, 08:47
Stimmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all. I just went to Gatwick yesterday to do my initial class 1, im 17 and have always wanted to be a pilot as long as i remember... anyway, you can all see how this is going by now but ill carry on. I passed most areas of the examination easilly and was told i am physically fit except for my hearing which wasnt perfect (im guessing due to playing bass in a rock/metal band). The only thing i was worried about was my colour vision and sure enough, i failed the isihra plates. I paid the extra £120 for the further tests and then did the CAD, i failed with a red/green defficiancy. The thing that confuses me is whenever i am tested by other people they can never understand why im colour blind as i answer correctly... the only reason i was worried was becasue id done and failed the plates before when at an RAF museum.

Now i have a restricted class 1... where do i go from here? im absoloutly gutted I havnt actually started my flying training yet but do you think it would be worth requesting to do a lantern test or the test where you fly with and instructor and have to identify coloured runway lights? Is it possible to earn a reasonable living from being an instructor?

Any advise is most welcome and thankyou for taking your time to read.