PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You couldn't write the script
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2011, 18:22
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Geehovah and Londoneye - I second everything that you say. There has to be a holistic approach to allowances- this is what JSP 752 was meant to address - it doesn't! Manning staffs (few who have ever served abroad) need to accept non-traditional reporting changes (qv) and appreciate the positive impact younger, career-driven officers have abroad.

Lunchboxlegend. I agreed that there are wider air power issues that need to be addressed but recalling basic human needs, when the pay packet and the living standards of you and your family are directly affected, this becomes primus inter pares of issues.

Fretus Pennae. I'll ignore your prompting, however, here's some examples over the last year where I have had to dig - sometimes quite deeply - into my pocket:
  • Foreign Staff College 'International Evening'. We Brits had to cater for 150 fellows out of our own pocket (previously REA was available). Limited to a massively diluted Pims Bucket and home-made Chicken Tikka Marsala. A quick vox populare of fellows showed that almost all of them could draw on national funds and resources (the French had foi gras and champagne flown in via their embassy, for example).
  • 'National Day' (Sovereign's Birthday). Shared in funding drinks and nibbles.
  • Armed Forces Day - self-funded BBQ and drinks for 'diplomatic and host nation military' at the Embassy.
  • Staff College Visit to London - a dire reception in Main Building Bahnhofsturmjaegerhalle; each of us then hosted our syndicates at our Clubs, most appologetically trying to paper over Government parsimony.
  • Attending repatriation of recovered USAAF crew - floral tribute, mileage etc.
  • Remembrance Sunday - mileage and shared cost of lunch reception (only bailed out by Commonwealth colleagues). Luckily an unused wreath was found in a cupboard! 'Sir - soz, no admin order so we can't authorise payment' was the verbatum response.
  • Visit by UK 3* - hosted a dinner for him, senior US military rep and spouse and 2 x other Brits. Not ordered to do this, but nor could I leave a 3* to stew in his hotel room, either.
  • 'Obligatory' Burns' Night Dinner for our community. Although guests were billed, we few Brits dug into our pocket to cover various costs (sourcing Haggis, pipers etc).
  • The frequent cost of baby-sitters, flowers, posh chocs etc for regular events.
I've been in this business long enough to know the value of a good meal, washed down with modestly-priced wines and the right crowd. I am also acutely aware of the Draconian rules on alcohol being served (2 glasses of wine, for example). Unless I - and my Service and my Country - want to be perceived as the world's stingiest officer, I have to subsidise engagment activities.