PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You couldn't write the script
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2011, 15:03
Geehovah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What most people don't see is that many of the jobs overseas, particularly on exchange, are essential to UK interests. Most back home are dazzled by the lights of the US or Germany or wherever the job is located. The hard work and dedication of the incumbents often gets lost in the glitz.

I spent a nominal 3 year tour in the US. That I spent over 120 days a year TDY was lost on anyone but my family. It always seems slightly stingy that LOA was withdrawn after a certain number of days on deployment. Somehow my family still carried on spending at home. Again, no complaint but all may not be what it seems.

If we fail to put good people into those key jobs, wherever they are, the UK suffers. How would multi million pound aquisitions be faring if the wrong people were at the contractors or we didn't give pilots exposure to Gen 5 fighters in advance?

I still say that with better targeted resources we can prevent much of the pain of the move. In any event, individuals should never have to finance the essential costs of moving to a new duty unit, however attractive the location.

As for other bigger topics to discuss, this is after all, a thread on making overseas tours more attractive.

Also, as for the youngsters facing redundancy I'm relieved that a family friend who I coached through his entry to service escaped the axe. I'm well aware of the pressures the kids are facing.

Last edited by Geehovah; 14th Mar 2011 at 20:28.