PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2011, 11:47
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After the Senate inquiry what happens? Are recommendations made to the lower house for a change of legislation. This has to go then the Senate. It will be a fairly long process maybe 2 years considering the current amount of legislation that needs consideration.
I suppose should it get to the first stage- tableing of a bill- the mongrels will know the game is up and quietly stop the cadet scheme. That is of course if we don't have a change of government before that happens.
Food for thought.
WP - A private bill could be introduced into the Senate as it is not a "money bill", i.e. anything to do with taxation, however, it would probably have a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding without government support. In these strange days of parliamentary "horse trading" with independent members holding the balance of power in the House of Reps and after 1 July the Greens will have the same in the Senate there may be a chance but I am not going to hold my breath. Senate committee reports are a dime a dozen but not a lot comes from them unless the public at large get interested.