PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2011, 08:42
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John Dicken

I've put out feelers in the past for the late great John Dicken but have so far only encountered moderate success.

John was a good friend to Col. Bob Smith (Ferranti) and had the rare privilege of flying one of the UK's few bank-owned-and-operated corporate helicopters, the fourth Bell (as opposed to AgustaBell) 206 to be registered in the UK.

John's corporate mount from the late 60's G-AWOM belonging to Queen's bankers Hambros. Photo courtesy of PPRuNer Helipixman and the Helipixman Collection

John was a keen Ferranti fan and, according to Bob, would have joined the Ferranti team had he not been caught up elsewhere. He took quite a bit of flack (as did the Ferranti pilots) for wearing white gloves when he flew!

During the 1980's John could often be seen flying 'Gone Drinking With My In-laws' and I recall, on numerous occasions, his visits into Brooklands c.1982-84. (G-DWMI at Farnborough on 5th September 1990. Photo: Don Hewins)

There were rumours about John dressed in a nun's outfit for a filming job he did and I am keen to verify this, better still to obtain a copy of the image!

Any information at all about John's career would be gratefully appreciated.

S.