PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quick gratuity question
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2011, 07:16
Geehovah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I retired last year on the 17th of the month. My experience was similar to others.

A full salary on the first of that month (in arrears).
In the first month after retirement, a pro rata final salary payment for (17) x days and a pro rata pension payment for the balance of days.
My pension was paid on 20th of the following month at 1/12th of the annual rate.
My gratuity was paid on 27th of my month of retirement (10 days after my exit date).

Two top tips.

Make sure you receive an acknowledgement slip for your pension application.
My first application disappeared into the ether.Noone from HR followed up and it was only me checking which uncovered the problem.

If you have ever lodged an FMA make sure it's cancelled
. Its almost impossible to find out from JPA. If you still have one lodged, the donkeys at JPA will send the balance of your gratuity to your old overseas account. It sounds impossible but when I returned from overseas, I had to adjust my FMD over a few months to get money in the correct place. The final adjustment was to a figure well in excess of my salary so all my salary would go to my UK account. It's then almost invisible and mine was not subsequently cancelled, although I had no idea of the implication. Don't think that the form you fill out saying where you want your pension and gratuity to go is good enough to actually send it there! A large chunk of my gratuity ended up in financial limbo for weeks and noone thought to check with me before sending it overseas to a closed account.

Also don't forget you are removed from JPA on your retirement date so all activity after that date is via phone to HR/JPA.

Last edited by Geehovah; 14th Mar 2011 at 07:29.