PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2011, 02:20
The Kelpie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was a previous post I made which the mods moved to the GA Area. I asked for it to be moved back but no assistance. In relation to the way the Senate Inquiry seems to be developing I thought it was worth asking the question again in the hope that a driver or CC could provide an answer.

Just reading about Crew Travel Authority on the Immigration Website. It says that "Crew operating commercial flights into Australia should be registered with a Crew Travel Authority (CTA). It raised a question for me.

On a Jetstar flight from an overseas base to Melbourne would overseas flight crew / Cabin crew be required to go through Customs and Immigration at Darwin (or the first port of entry) before proceeding to Melbourne being their first port of call in Australia?

If the answer is yes - Would that mean that if the same overseas crew flew the 'Tag Flight' from Darwin to Melbourne they would be undertaking work for the purposes of immigration bearing in mind that for immigration purposes - “Work” is defined as “an activity that, in Australia, normally attracts remuneration.” ?

If they are undertaking "work" what provision of the Crew Travel Authority by which they legally enter Australia without a visa allows such work?

If the CTA does allow such "work" then why should the overseas crew not be entitled to the same pay and conditions as an Australian with work rights??

If Overseas crew are to be paid the same as Australian Crew, What is the point of off-shoring jobs?

.........Just a thought
Note the wording 'into Australia' and not 'within Australia'.

Maybe why they were offerring Aussie pilots the opportunity to move over there as they have an automatic right to work in Australia. You guys hold the key as other foreign nationals will not be allowed to fly the tag flight is my understanding. If I am correct you are probably the most important asset the company has at the moment as you are the key to enabling them to switch a mel - drw - sg - dw - mel flight into a sg - dw - mel - dw - sg one.

Although the IASC allows these flights to take place from an operational point of view I am sure that the assumption is that all other aspects of law are satisfied, including the Migration Regulations.

There is a world of difference between a London based crew flying from London and Singapore to a destination that is it's one and only port of call in Australia to flying from an overseas into an australian port of entry and then taking off again after boarding further passengers to another Australian airport.

More to Follow

The Kelpie

Last edited by The Kelpie; 14th Mar 2011 at 02:32.