PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2011, 02:08
P2 WDL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the name of the lake?

Storchpilot,
I agree, Lake Wanum. If you look at the Google Earth image, the foreshore matches that shown in the photo. The river in the photo appears to be a bit closer to the lake than is shown on Google Earth, but that could be the angle of the photo, or the river might have shifted over the years.
There was always a concern that a big guria might rupture the lake wall and flood the Markham River.
On another topic. Does anyone have any information/photos on MAL's
Caribou, which they operated in the mid sixties. I recall bumming a lift on it from Ialibu to Hagen. I think John Reagan might have been the captain.
There was a lot of outstation construction going on at the time and Govstores and PWD needed to shift heaps of cargo,some of it quite heavy and bulky, into the outstations.
The idea was that the Caribou would use reverse thrust on touchdown on some of the short Highlands strips. The then DCA put the kibosh on that idea. They were concerned about an engine failure when using full power and reverse thrust on the landing roll. That was the story doing the rounds when MAL disposed of the aircraft.
Maybe one of you old hands could confirm this.

Last edited by P2 WDL; 14th Mar 2011 at 07:24.