PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorway Corner
Thread: Rotorway Corner
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2002, 00:28
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
next 2 cents:

a. To the 300,-$ "MD"-500, it seems we have the second Samaritian in the last 1000 years on hand. The way it was explained to me, he does not make any money with this machine (and another he has), and it is only used for turbine transitions and sling load checkouts. He also has an EC120 and two R-44. The prices on these later models is definitely not in the same range, as these are used to generate a winspan.
So.........go for it, but check them carefully anyway!

b. To ravenx:

It is perfectly possible to balance the blades in 15 min with a good electronic balancer and not too much problems on the setup. Although I still have to get a helicopter where I could balance it in less than an hour.............must be me.
Track is another sucker - happend to me: done in three flights, but also thinking of using vodoo after 2 days not getting them to track satisfactory!! I think this is witchcraft anyway!!

The EXEC seems to be a fine helicopter and it is made so, that an average person can assemble it. Actually it is (in my view...) easier than restoring an old car or motorcyle - all new parts, packed in groups, excellent manual. If you know how to use common tools, know how to read [a manual...], just use your brains [common sense...]

What I DO NOT APPROVE OF at all is their policy to train pilots in steps: Get them to hover and send them home [to practise....!!!], train them on autos and [send them home...],.....and so on.

Helicopter training is not cheap, okay, but so isnīt a EXEC-kit.

Anyone building a EXEC, PPLLEEAASSEEE!!!, get ALL your training in one run, take vacationand stay at the factory, use their helos, or do it in a R-22 in your local flightschool (you manage a R-22 you manage anything- no joke!!), whatever, but get your licence BEFORE you start to fly your creation. Most accidents happen when something gets out of hand (hoverpractise - get into translational lift and youīre up - and what then?)

If you have the money for 70.000,- kit you should be able to come up with the 10 grand for a private helicopter ticket.

AGAIN: ANY helicopter-kit is NOT A CHEAP WAY TO GO FLY HELICOPTERS - see previous posts on this thread!!
DONīT DO IT IF YOU ARE NOT INTO THE BUILDING AND MAINTENANCE OF THE SHIP!!!

I am a CFI and do all kinds of work with a helo (about 6000 hrs now, about 400 as instructor, I have a student as this time....), I also help with the maintenance of helicopters - no A&P, but I work the manuals and tools, sometime I will have the time to get this ticket too. I know what is involved to built up or totally overhaul a small helicopter - Bell47 and R-44/22 - it is an awefull lot of work, but relative simple if you do it with a plan - see above.

BUT for the last time: If your hobby is flying and not building and maintaining - GO AND RENT!!

3top

Last edited by 3top; 12th Sep 2002 at 03:10.