PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2011, 22:40
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boot flap and JAJ,

Accepted - I know that the RAF did more than 6 aircraft for two weeks. That's a crude slur. However, my central point remains that they did not 'embark' in the way that the RN had done for years.

JAJ, the ship was able to support and accommodate full strength FA2 squadrons plus ASW units. There was spare space on the ship to accept the unit. So, there was space for GR7 support, as long as it was of the same scale. I don't want to open up the whole 'how many people; argument - wearing and not very productive, but there were issues with differing RN and RAF assumptions for manning and not least harmony rules.

You also illustrate a key point (possibly not on purpose). The RN were apparently expected to 'sail off for months at a time' - the RAF 'wouldn't have the same expectation'. That's interesting, as should have been what the RAF signed up to for Joint Force in 1999. Or, as I sadly conclude, there was never any real intention of delivering a sustainable and persistent maritime strike capability.

Thanks for keeping the exchange of information going - good forum.

Best Regards

Engines