PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heston: wartime crashes and incidents
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2011, 16:32
AWF118

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heston Crashes and Incidents

No prob re the deletion. Guessed something like that must have happened (although my guesswork didn't extend as far as you chucking 2p coins at your missus ), and also guessed that the Ju88 photo must be behind a log-in somewhere.

I'll try to sign up and navigate around the LEMB site (a new one to me) in a mo' - but my first reaction is: verrrrry interrresting!

"Gerät", a noun taken from the old High German simply means tool or device, so has no especial meaning as an I.D. - the Luftwaffe used it to broadly refer to various "systems", e.g., X-Gerät or Y-Gerät, their well known long range radio guidance bombing systems.

I can't find any reference to a "Kiel-Gerät" but if "Kiel" was actually "Kehl", i.e., "Kehl-Gerät", that would probably slot a number of jigsaw pieces neatly into place. Kehl was a series of (low VHF) radio transmitter systems whose guidance signals were used to communicate with corresponding Straßburg series receivers, mounted in Hs293 or Fritz-X radio guided anti-ship missiles. Kehl, BTW, is the town on the opposite side of the Rhine from Straßburg.

If AirMin 32 was a a Kehl-equipped Ju88G-6, then I'm fairly sure it would have had a glazed nose as I originally thought (for the Kehl operator, who needed visual line of sight to the missile, until its impact) - rather than a night fighter's centimetric radar, faired in, radome nose. I also think it would pretty clearly have been of great interest to Fairey's in the context of Spearfish development, and would have been very smartly retrieved by a salvage crew if intact post-crash.

Rare, it would have been, as the Hs293 at least (an underslung, rocket-propelled winged missile) was not known to have been operationally launched from Ju88's - He111 or Do217 being the norm. However, both missiles were developed-on, with sophisticated tail lighting systems to aid their visual guidance at night - so planned operation using a Ju88 night fighter platform (perhaps reverted to wing-mounted Yagi radar aerial arrays) could have been logical.

I'll try LEMB now, to see if there's anything there to support or dstroy my hypothesis - but at least I've chanced my arm by stating the hypothesis first, in true scientific manner

EDIT: Have now registered to LEMB ("Luftwaffe Experten Message Board") but it looks as though it can take up to eight hours before I'll have access, so I'll get back with any further info from there then.