PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - spin, stall & first solo scary?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2011, 12:25
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over West Sale at 8000 ft in a Wirraway. CFS instructor in the front seat acting as student (former Spitfire pilot during war over Europe). I was a trainee instructor on Instructors Course.

CFS bloke takes control and says assume he is student and I have just demo'd a spin. He will be Bloggs. He pulls the Wirra up high and kicks on full rudder. It spins and spins and spins. I say that is good Bloggs - now recover, please.
Bloggs keeps on spinning. I say sternly "RECOVER BLOGGS"
"Sorry Sir" says Bloggs in falsetto voice," but I don't know what to do next".

"Taking over Blogs" sez kindly 23 year old trainee instructor in back seat of Wirra where I can see bugger all.

Controls jammed in full pro-spin positions and Wirra has by now really wound up and West Sale aerodrome is rapidly growing bigger like my eyes under the goggles.

"LET GO OF THE CONTROLS, BLOGGS!!" "Can't sir, I have frozen on 'em"

Having done about ten turns the time had come for action even though I knew the instructor was having a lend of me. But he was a RAF Flight Lieutenant and I a lowly Sergeant in the back seat.

"I HAVE CONTROL BLOGGS"
but the bugger wouldn't release the controls
This idiot is nuts I thought and now getting seriously concerned and wondering when is the time for me to leap out and use my parachute.

"BLOGGS (Sir) YOU BLOODY IDIOT (Sir) - LET GO OF THE CONTROLS" I roared over the intercom.

Immediately the controls became free and I recovered around 2000 ft. From the front cockpit came the friendly advice of "That's the way Sergeant - don't be afraid to swear loudly to the student rather than a polite calm approach -especially if he has frozen on the controls in a spin"

Lesson learned the hard way although fortunately I had never had to use his advice.