Old 13th Mar 2011, 05:24
a330pilotcanada

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
More Reader Comments from the Globe and Mail:

Score: 7
Name withheld
S Lucht
2:52 PM on March 12, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore S Lucht. Show DetailsHide Details
$10K a month pension? Sweet!

He's flying with Turkish Airlines. He could fly cargo or private if he wanted to, and often those pilots fly well beyond age 60.

Yes, it's always good optics when you start fighting for your rights when you're at the top of the heap, and stood quietly by while your predecessors adhered to the terms of their contract. Terms which weren't a secret when you or they agreed to them.

Me me me me.
0 replies1 reply 0 replies1 reply Please wait while we perform your request.
Abuse Reported Report Abuse

Score: 7
Name withheld
DerFlieger
12:03 PM on March 12, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore DerFlieger. Show DetailsHide Details
These pilots are not forced to retire at sixty, but rather had agreed every year of their 30 plus year career to leave Air Canada. They are free to work elsewhere as Capt Ennis has chosen to do.
The agreement to retire at sixty was known to these people when they signed on, and they chose not to address it all these years. They also never raised the issue within the union that represents all the pilots. Instead they seized the opportunity presented by the Americans to sue for this "right". You see, until 9/11 all major airlines has a out at sixty clause because the US didn't allow you to fly into their airspace after that. Following 9/11 many of the US carriers went through bankruptcy and their pension plans failed (which US pilots do not contribute to, unlike AC pilots). Suddenly these senior pilots were scrambling - they successfully lobbied to have the age restriction changed so they could chase the money. Before that, the point was moot.
This movement in Canada IS opportunitic. These people want to sit at the top ad infinitum and are perverting "human rights" to achieve their goal. What about the rights of those below them? We negotiated this clause in good faith; now we're suffering harm to satisfy their ego and greed.
Jazz/Chorus lets pilots fly past 60 - the majority are on long term medical leave. Of the two pilots CHRT forced AC to take back, one is now on medical leave. How are you supposed to schedule around that? Why should the younger pilots be saddled with the significantly higher risk of incapacitation while their careers are stalled by the same people?!

He has had his time, he has earned lots of money and he has a great pension, it's time to step aside for the next generation.

The baby-boom generation fell ass-backwards into great jobs with golden pensions that they don't appreciate and now it's up to the next generation to move these old folks out to the pasture.
1 replies1 reply 1 replies1 reply Please wait while we perform your request.

Score: 2
Name withheld
dh_43
5:30 PM on March 12, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore dh_43. Show DetailsHide Details
that sums it up beautifully. This guy is a classic baby boomer got a great job at 21 and stayed for life. That just doesn't happen any more. He should be forced to get out now, he's merely clogging the system up for younger people behind him.

Score: 5
Name withheld
Strat_Fender
7:22 PM on March 12, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Strat_Fender. Show DetailsHide Details
Seems to be a perception these days that an employer has an obligation to give you something to do in your retirement years.. How about collecting your pension, choose a new career path and allow the younger worker a shot at their first chosen career.. Don't be so damn selfish!!

Name withheld
pilotguy
7:06 PM on March 12, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore pilotguy. Show DetailsHide Details
I am a commercial pilot [duh, check username ] and though I won't mention what airline I work for (one of the big two) I think this guy is being selfish and trying to "move the goalposts" after the game has started, so to speak.

This dude started at 21, straight outta flight school (try THAT today!) and benefited his ENTIRE career from guys pulling the pin @60, now all of a sudden when it's his turn, he wants to change things up so he can keep his plush sked and ca$hflow, thus severely delaying the career progression of those lower on the totem pole.

I'm pretty sure that unless he was a total knob with money, he has no mortgage left and kids who are done university or close to it. Meanwhile the younger guys making a fraction of his wage are just starting out their families with mortgages, kids etc.

This is being selfish, plain and simple. You knew the rules going in, you had AMPLE opportunity to change the retirement age through negotiation (82% of AC pilots are AGAINST raising it because they KNOW it's eating their young) but you never did.

Move over, enjoy your retirement, and have a turkish coffee for me (but you better hope they don't read the Globe over there or you might be sharing some quiet flight decks).
1 replies1 reply 1 replies1 reply Please wait while we perform your request.

Score: -1
Name withheld
Bill Robertson
8:25 PM on March 12, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Bill Robertson. Show DetailsHide Details
Please update your comments when you're 60

Name withheld
WHouse
4:48 PM on March 12, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore WHouse. Show DetailsHide Details
I wouldn't be too surprised if this dude gets a free AC pass for the rest of his life, for him and the missus.

Can you spell GREED?

Name withheld
Ohcrap
4:30 PM on March 12, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Ohcrap. Show DetailsHide Details
If it gets rid of the air hag flight attendants, then I am all for it. Their sense of entitlement is unbelievable, much like the Air Canada attitude in general.

Name withheld
jgoods
3:11 PM on March 12, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore jgoods. Show DetailsHide Details
He should take his case to the Human Rights Tribunal; they'll let him work to 150 and give him half the airline for his troubles!

Score: 4
Name withheld
Headnotinthesand
7:02 PM on March 12, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Headnotinthesand. Show DetailsHide Details
Greed, greed and more greed. Shame.

If you want to fly for AC donate half of your salary (to charity or younger pilots)

Score: 4
Name withheld
get_real
6:36 PM on March 12, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore get_real. Show DetailsHide Details
Air Canada doesn't want pilots flying past 60, and the vast majority of the pilots don't want the rules changed to go past 60. It's just a few greedy me me me people.