PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A pilot’s quest to remain at the top
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2011, 20:37
Mizuno boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many thoughts and perspectives on this issue. As a family member of an airline Captain who had 37 years of uninterrupted and unimpeded,
upward (seat position wise) service at a major airline and retired in the early 90's, I can understand the desire to fly past 60. For alot of these gentlemen flying was their identity and a way of life. I witnessed a fair number of these retirees that in my opinion past away earlier than they should of because their sense of self worth and purpose in life was taken away with retirement.
Unfortunately for the newer generation of pilots this career potential (length and renumeration)is no longer possible. Most if not all of the recent (last 25-30 years) group of pilots have been through layoffs, bankrupcies, and airplanes sold out beneath them, and consequesntly earnings and retirement security. (note this is not just aviation but business and life in general)
For myself, 32 years of flying, 2 banktupcies, and 3 layoffs, last 20 years in corporate aviation and I wouldn't change a thing. Having said all this, retiring will not be hard, as being pilot is what I do not what I am ( although if you asked me this 25-30 years ago I probably would have said that being a pilot was how I defined myself) Not to say I won't miss the actual act of flying, the wonderful people I have met and worked with, or amazing places I have seen, but the struggle for jobs and raising a family changes your perspective.
Guess what I am trying to say is that I can see both sides of the argument and therefore I feel both sides need to work together to solve this disagreement in the best intersets of all, instead of fracturing the pilot group with the venom that these issues are bringing out.
After watching the backward spiral due to the infighting brought on by different pilot groups during mergers, takeovers and union squabbles it is time to work for the greater good of all and not just the individual, or associated group.

Safe flying Guys
Cheers
MB