PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC120
Thread: EC120
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2011, 18:45
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with J&K - there seems to be little experience of an overhaul as yet. I am sure it won't be cheap (what jet turbine is cheap to overhaul?) but I certainly would hesitate to guess what the cost will be based on what a different power plant costs. As an owner, I am finding it difficult to get accurate information on a price and so have stayed silent on this cost. Some may know more than me; but as the laws of lible apply equally to internet postings then should posted information not be accurate, and should it lead to Eurocopter losing a sale because people were scarred-off buying their machine, then things could get expensive.

This link explains things simply - apologies to anyone who knew all this already.

Basic UK libel law for idiots by Adam Porter

You will appreciate that though this particular article says potential damage to reputation, and hence potential loss and compensation, would likely be lower for internet postings as the number of people seeing them would be small, things may be different for us posting here. Possibly, the number of potential EC120 customers (new or secondhand) reading a PPrune Roterheads posting would be larger than the number reading one of the national Newspapers!

So our defence, in these postings, must be that we are accurate (stating truth) where we cite information that [somebody] may consider to be damaging to their financial interests.

What I have posted so far is data from actual bills (it is accurate). I also know for sure that the TBO for the Arrius 2F fitted to Eurocoters differs depending on the configuration that you have. I have the longer-lifed version and the TBO for me is 15 yrs or 3000 hrs. I won't make the hours limit, so April 2015 it is then.

What any potential owner needs to do with any machine is to factor into their calcualtions of the cost of ownership any infrequent bills like this. It is no different for a Robinson rebuild, or for lifed-blades, turbines, etc. Cheaper 50 / 100 / 500 hr servicing over 15 years plus more expensive items later in life may or may not be cheaper in the long-run. Only you, the potential purchasor, can make your calculations and your decisions.

I bought the machine 3 years back at a significant discount to "new" price (about -600k) and that discount together with the lower cost of servicing provides a fund from which to meet (later) expenses. If I sell the machine in the meantime [no current intention] that pot is mine, offsetting any reduction in sale price [as component values are lower] compared to purchase cost.

As I say, I haven't yet got an indication of the cost for overhaul or an idea of how long it will take, or whether I can get a swap / pay to bring my old engine up to reconditioned standard; but as soon as I do I will post.