PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criminal Conviction A Problem?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2002, 18:10
Father Mulcahy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TomThai,

This is going from memory and my references are all at work, so double check it with the home office website... homeoffice.gov.uk or something like that.

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act says that for someone who is sentenced to 30 months in da gaol or less (which covers your community service order) has to disclose the conviction for up to 10 years. After the 10 year period the crime is "spent" and the slate is effectively wiped clean and you do not normally have to disclose the offence.

Now there is a currently a review of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act in motion, I seem to recall however that it is mainly being directed at youth crime, so I doubt it will retrospectively alter dates/sentencing times etc.

So basically, your conviction is spent and should not be a factor. Most application forms will include a brief section on the act also mentioning that parking tickets and minor traffic violations (i.e. those that do not end up in court) can be forgotten.

As for access/employment/student visa in the States not my field sorry. Speak to their consulate.

For definitive advice talk to your solicitor and explain the EXACT circumstances of the offence.

FM

edited for speeelllinggg

Last edited by Father Mulcahy; 11th Sep 2002 at 18:15.