PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB rubbish single pilot IFR experience when it comes to being an airline pilot.
Old 12th Mar 2011, 00:52
scam sniffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bankrunner.

You are following the correct line. In a proper world both heads should never be down. If the FMS needs input, one should be programming the box while the other maintains the AVIATE function. Who does what can vary from company to company. However the fundamental rule is that only one should be box watching.

The question then arises as to whether or not the box fiddling is necessary. A lot of the time, close in, drawing pretty pictures will give you nothing more than is already available, but it looks nice. Gee aren't I clever, I can draw.
If it is an IMC arrival it should be programmed long before you arrive. If it is a VMC arrival or visual on the end of an IMC arrival, it should be done with the heads out of the office for the bulk of the time.

The problem arises because of the lack of skills and background in the planning and execution of the visual sectors. Many crew lack the confidence to properly conduct a visual approach.
Many is the time that I have watched, (from all seats front and back, left and right), crews trying to do things on the screen, that are clearly visible from a good look out the window.
Many times have I seen circuits done where the PF sees nothing till he/she looks up on short final. Is it any wonder that occasionally they get stuffed up.
The reason for this is the aforementioned lack of confidence and skills, coupled with a lack of proper training and enforcement of standard procedures, and is a systemic issue rather than an individual one.
Don’t blame the pilot for the procedure if has not been given the tools and training to do it properly, blame the training system, for it is that which is putting out an insufficiently skilled individual; blame the checking system for failing to ensure that proper standards are not being maintained; and blame the auditing system (internal and/or CASA) for not picking up that procedures are either deficient, non existant, or not adhered to.

SS