PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criminal Conviction A Problem?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2002, 16:09
TomThai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will a criminal record affect a flying career?

Hi,

I'm in the early stages of progressing through a PPL course in the UK and am considering completing the remaining flying hours in America followed by a JAA ATPL course and then hopefully onward into a commercial piloting career.

Unfortunately, some foolish teenage behaviour 12 years ago involving the theft of a boat and a trailer left me with a criminal record and a requirement to partake in 90 hours of community service.

I am trying to establish what bearing my criminal record will have on my career aspirations, with regard to training in America, gaining employment with UK airlines and working elsewhere in the world as a pilot.

I have spoken to one UK airline who have told me 'a criminal record would not rule me out and that they would consider my circumstances on application', but I need to establish exactly where I stand prior to forking out £30/40k and spending 2 years training, only to find I cannot get a job.

Can anyone offer any advice around my circumstances, or point me in the direction of someone who can?

Regards,

Tom