PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easa Flight Time Limitations Changes
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2011, 15:36
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DB6

It not only needs to be fought, the organisation and individuals responsible should be identified, pursued and removed from authority. With extreme prejudice, to coin a phrase.
As SLF and friend of near outraged 737NG driver and uncle of a 767 driver, I am more than a bit concerned about this. While not entirely clear on what the implications are, at first glance I am not inclined to believe the EASA.

As to possible methods of resistance, there have been European 'Safety' pronouncements in my own industry - MRI scanning. The EU have been trying to reduce the amount of time radiographers spend in close proximity to the very strong magnetic field associated with MRI scanners, even though there is no direct or even circumstantial evidence that the field is in any way harmful. I have worked in very close proximity to such magnets for eighteen years and I'm KO(?) The hours the EU propose could mean either doubling the number of radiographers or seriously reducing the number of scans possible each day/session.

To this end, there was a serious plan on the part of many research organisations (within the NHS) to sue the EU collectively. The people I spoke to - some of them very senior and well respected - were confident that the EU bodies concerned were not immune to legal action, if neglect or recklessness could be shown.

It certainly seems from what I have read, that a good brief could hack an EU defending councel to ribbons, given the weight the public attach to safety issues.

I shall try to find out where this avenue of action has gone, as nothing has yet changed and there is little in the way of news or rumour.