PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-800 Raw Data App
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2011, 15:15
d105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spooky 2: Wouldn't you consider it bare essentials for a pilot to be able to perform a raw date ILS down to minimums? Perhaps the more appropriate question is why is your first advice to a pilot with handling difficulties simply to use more automation?

OP: It's all about knowing what settings to use.

pitch: from 3° to 1° up depending on flap setting and wind. If you are pitching outside of those values you will deviate eventually.

anticipate lift vector changes. F1/2/5/10/15 = anticipate trim down (ballooning) and F25/30/40 anticipate a heavier control column (more drag).

thrust: Target value for F30 or F40 landing should be your landing weight in metric tons for a still wind approach. For example. 62.000kg landing = roughly 62%. From that setting you adjust 1% maybe 2% depending on the actual wind conditions. I find this to be a better aid than just "put it at 58%" since in my outfit we land from up to 65 tons all the way down to 50 tons. Needless to say 58% is off by a long shot in those case. However, it is a ballpark figure.

scan: dump the FPV, it's utter rubbish. Your best tool to stay on glide is your V/S indicator. V/S should roughly be half your groundspeed as said earlier. 200 knots groundspeed : +/- 1000 fpm. and so on. In fact, if you kept your attitude within the numbers above this should translate into a more or less correct V/S indication. If you are off in pitch, there's no way your V/S indication will be correct. So you see that the aircraft is actually constantly telling you if you are doing good or not.

That's how it was thought to me, that's how I fly it.