PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympic restrictions 2012
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2011, 13:42
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good evening guys ... so yes, the Olympic 'security' arrangements are with us and as oft noted here, they seem to have been dreamed up by a neighbour's cat. Our CAA are, I know, doing all they can, but the announced rules come directly from the security boffins at the Home Office. Offenders face a sure fire prosecution. As was said at a DA and DAE meeting yesterday, I doubt if the terrorists will be bothering to file flight plans or obligingly 'squawk' prior to getting airborne with a 500 pound GP bomb. Or something nastier.

What concerns me is getting that 'dig in the ribs' from a terrorist's Colt .45 with an urgent request to 'take me to London.' He/she will of course already have one's nearest and dearest abducted somewhere and on the phone for confirmation. Even a tiddly MD 500 will lift a 1,000 pounder which, suitably placed, will make a big enough bang to keep the media happy ... and a nasty dent in the Government's reputation. A few years ago, someone called it 'the soft underbelly of the City.

Not liking criticism without a constructive idea, and on the unlikely chance that someone in authority will read this, I'd suggest a network of 'special branch' armed guys need to be stationed out at the relevent GA airfields for the duration and forget all about flight plans and TPDRs. No aircraft gets airborne without a 'local' clearance from the good guys. OR shall we just let a few of the already struggling aviation businesses go bust. Six to eight weeks with little income should do it.

PS I'm wondering if we are to be 'shot down' by a Tornado at say 100 feet over our HP or Buck House?