PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyEASA, Ormond Beach, FL
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2011, 08:37
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its quite common for UK instructors to have to sort out and complete the syllabus from the FL sausage factories.

To be fair some FL students do get it all done but thats more to do with the luck of the draw with their instructors more than which schools they have been to.

To be honest with the FI its not like the rest of your training so far. Its a first step on a career ladder. Where you do it can have conseqences what work you get afterwards.

If your intend to get a job in scotland either Tayside with a chance at getting a job on the RAF contract or Syd through in Perth.

And England Mrs Pooley or Ontrack who both have very good reputations for producing decent FI(R)'s who can brief properly and also give long lectures.

Given a stack of CV's personally I single out those 4 and only when I don't have them I look at the others. I am sure there are other good FIC's out there but I have supervised/ worked with FI's from all those schools/instructors and they know what they are doing and deliver a quality PPL course.

Going for the cheap option and possibly struggling to find a job or worse getting a reputation for being gash while getting your FI(R) removed will cost you money in the long run.

And apart from anything else AT and SF have pissed off that many folk over the years alot of CFI's won't touch you with a barge pole as they will see you as tainted (there are quite afew Chief Pilots are of the same view if they see you have a CPL from them)

Its horses for courses personally I would go for a British FIC. Kevin Rowell at Sherburn runs an FIC as well, and I have no doudt that will be good as well but I have never seen his product. By going abroad your missing out a whole load of networking which is very important in securing that first job and getting your restriction removed. There are quite a few schools who only recruite by phoning thier favorite FII up. Kevin got me my first job as an FI even though he was my CPL/IR instructor. There is something special about your blue book arriving in the post, signing it and then going for your first payed flight (even if it was only 10 quid an hour) all within 10 mins of the post arriving.