PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2011, 06:52
Gaz ED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAJ,

In the bizarre world of Defence Industry/MoD/Treasury, nothing will surprise me. Back in the day, I can envisage EAP then EFA, now Typhoon designers casting a best guess at what future weapons would be used. Did we anticipate the trend towards larger weapons for use in GW1 and the Balkan unpleasantnesses(sp?).

Currently the trend is to smaller (weight) munitions such as PW4 (with largely the same explosive/kinetic effect as a 1000lb'er), but with more options of employment.

At the time EFA was around didn't the RAF look at the use of Lockheeds' SDB? It would be nigh on impossible to predict, short of trusty 1000lb LGB and pod, what the vogue for weapons would be. I am loath to subscribe to the current zeitgeist for CAS-orientated munitions, as one must look to future conflict, not current. An old maxim, and worth heeding.

Example is Brimstone - derided for being a lock after launch weapon, and therefore no good for the more urban conflicts being fought. MBDA think f that and stick a different seeker in it. Suddenly - accurate, low collateral weapon is now popular in theatre.

Even with Brimstone DMS implementation on GR4, live firings had to be carried out to determine the usual characteristics. GR4 is a lot more robust in terms of weapon C of G's than I can imagine Typhoon would be.

That being said , I've seen Typhoon hoofing round with 6x 1000 LGB's on, and it is uber-impressive it can maintain its' agility with that load plus tanks. It will make a great (expensive!) CAS platform, but these things take time. Not a bad thing - when it does have its' full quiver of arrows, I fear the GR4 is on it's way to the scrappy.