PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC120
Thread: EC120
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2011, 23:00
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrj

I don't disagree with underpowered - then I think my R63AMG is underpowered, and I could do with some more grunt in the Subaru Imprezza STI. These are the limitations, we just work within them.

I don't agree the "lack of tail authority" point, though I did feel the same as you when I first converted from R44. It took time for me to get used to the amount of Right pedal, and the idea that unlike the R44 I needed to be ahead of what the aircraft was about to do, not be reacting to what it had started doing. It took me a short time but (and I am touching wood here, with crossed fingers) I haven't been caught out for quite some time.

One thing I do practice, having read of some accidents where the machine has yawed "uncontrollably" and then crashed, is maintaining a level attitude in yaw, and "travelling yaw" (spinning the machine whilst either moving along a straight path or moving around a hover square) so that if this happens to me I am more likely to maintain a level attitude whilst I keep the right foot in to stop the yaw. Not needed it yet, but it is so much fun to practice!

Anyway - LPC shortly with Puntasaurus so he can tell me how poor my skills have become.