PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exodus from Skippers (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2011, 22:07
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biggles, whilst I fully understand/support your frustration with the whole cadet/fast track concept. I think its important to recognise that it is the system that is failing us. These young lads are just doing what the system allows them to do. I don't think we should be giving them individually a hard time. If you work with them like it or not they are your equal and you must treat them as such. Furthermore they are part of your team and its your job to extend your hand.

I'm for GA hard yards through and through having done my share of 15 years of it. I think its the ultimate litmus test for those that want to be a professional aviator. Its a good apprenticeship. I do however accept that not everyone can pack up the car or do what I and others have done. I fly with Captains of my same age that have not even seen a 210 and were fast tracked their whole life. Everything fell into place and they were having hotel parties with hostesses while I was drum refuelling on a remote station. They are excellent operators and top blokes.

Having said all that I resent people/system that are trying to spin dollars and lower conditions via these schemes. They use catch phrases like "train them from day one in our culture" "avoid bad habits picked up in ga". Its total rubbish and Nick Xenophon knows it. I suggest you have a read, if you haven't already, of John Lamings submission to the Senate Inquiry. He sums it up better than anyone.

All the best and good luck to the pilots.

By the way I'm not having a crack at you just thought I'd remind you that were all in it together.