PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heston: wartime crashes and incidents
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2011, 21:39
AWF118

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heston Display

Thanks for the birthday issue of Flight (I was eight that very day!), duly printed off and tucked in the back of "Coming in to Land".

No sign of Winkle Brown but it seems that I was privileged to watch Geoffrey de Havilland (flying the Vampire), and possibly no less than Jeffrey Quill and Alex Henshaw too if I happened to have seen the Spiteful and the Seafire 45 performing. Don't remember the last two aircraft but the Vampire was what I was up the tree for, and "Spitfires" were commonplace at Heston after all.

Must've been mid-afternoon too, so the actual display was possibly finished by then. It was on a Tuesday and, like the Ju88 incident, I would therefore have been on my way home from school when I heard the buzz about the Vampire - probably North Hyde Lane householders standing outside watching. No wonder I ended up aviation minded!

Anyway, my clear recollection is of just a take off, and one straight and (very low) level high speed departure pass by the Vampire, so that also stacks up - relative to the tight turning passes in the actual display, as seen in the Movietone clip.

It was, of course, just under a year later, on 27 September 1946, when Geoffrey de Havilland lost his life as the second prototype DH108 broke up in a high speed dive.

(Wish I could remember what happened five minutes ago, as well as I recall events of over sixty five years ago! )