PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The ghost of RAF Chivenor
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2011, 20:19
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right then - I can't match BEagle's memory for hut numbers etc, but I can recall some happenings - some, many others are there, but lost!

There was the weather, generally glorious -aside from the odd atlantic blow when we retirired to either the bar or other localities. There we were in the bar when Dave R**me screwed up an engine-out landing and landed chute-wise close to the railway line. And the Arab who entered the barrier, legged it to the ante-room, read a paper and denied all knowledge. And the lovely Sandy. And Torrey Canyon. And the pub in Barnacle, and the one in Braunton - and her. And yes, the huts, with the coal fires - accommodating those lovely locale ladies, one or two of whom married into the RAF! And the flying, oh the flying!

And, and - it was all so bloody good!! Almost 50 years ago, yet I can touch it so closely. In May, some of us who have survived the ravages of ageing will meet in the RAF Club to get p**sed and recall times of Chivenor (and Aden).

Soon we will die, and tales with us -------- Whar**y (RIP), Wats*n, D**n, Bat*y, Gro**e, Middle**n, Milla**d, Aitk*n, Henso*, Barry ?, and many others whom I can recall, but not their names!

Last edited by jindabyne; 10th Mar 2011 at 21:12.