PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why to autopilots have no rudder authority?
Old 10th Mar 2011, 14:23
Plasmech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow thanks for taking the time Guppy.

I understand it now. It's sort of like the way the flight dynamics computers on the space shuttle work. There are maybe 3 different computers that control the gimbal of the SRB nozzles as well as the SSME's as well as the orbiter's aerodynamic control surfaces during the launch phase. I believe that those computers are all linked to a central "moderator" computer that ensures that they are all in agreement. If they are, a command is sent out to the control entities. This prevents a small glitch in one computer from causing a really bad day. Now if one computer completely fails, the other takes over seamlessly, because it's already "in the loop" as you say. I might not be remembering the exact details of the orbiter's computer(s) perfectly well but you get the general idea. By the way, here in 2011 the shuttle's computers are equivalent to an IMB 5150 which has an 8088 processor and was the cat's meow...in 1981. Drifting a bit here...

So allow me to ask, what aircraft(s) do you fly, and what is their mission? Would love to know, thanks.

I think I may have been wrong about you...you are quite a resource to this forum. Incredibly knowledgeable to say the least.