PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CFMU E-Helpdesk
Thread: CFMU E-Helpdesk
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2011, 12:45
Charley

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cessnapete
I fly a turboprop GA aircraft around UK and Europe IFR. Every flight usually takes multiple attempts to get a acc for the route or a call to help desk.

Why not accept our Plan first time and TELL us the route You require between our dep and dest with the acc ,easy, as most times we get airborne the route flown is different to the acc.

With modern GPS based nav last minute route changes are no problem.
Perhaps too radical a proposal!!
An interesting discussion and thank you, Flowman, for participating in the dialogue.

My point is not germane to this discussion, but while last minute route changes are "no problem" to Cessnapete, please don't think that this is the case for all of us.

A last-minute nav change in my {single-pilot} operation is most certainly a big deal, as our modern GPS nav gear needs each waypoint to be added manually. I can't just specify an airway, start point and end point and have the nav kit fill out the rest as per a shiny FMS. I need to get out a chart and add each waypoint as required, taking time. If a segment is START UW123 ENDSS then it may not be as simple as adding the two waypoints only, as there may be several turning points on that airway between START and ENDSS.

Secondly our aircraft is often weight-limited and so a reroute can change our fuel plan beyond what we can accommodate -- extra track miles & different winds along a changed route can increase our Trip/Contigency fuel beyond what the original fuel plan had available in the Extra box.

This is all highly off-topic since you have nothing to do with routing but as an old mentor of mine used to tell me, "every misunderstanding starts somewhere." Re-routes are not necessarily as convenient easy for all of us. We omit the IFPS REROUTE ACCEPTED remark deliberately, for this reason, and would hope that opt-out is retained.

Anyone having problems with FPL acceptance based on routings should be following the sage advice offered and begin validating your FPLs via the IFPUV first. I know guys who don't even know what the RADs/Standard Route Documents are, let alone consult them before flight. Even my Chief Pilot still thinks you can pull out a chart and connect the dots from where you are to where you want to be in whatever way you wish. Sadly not so these days, try explaining that to him with his 40 years experience...

Anyway, very off-topic. Sorry for that, just wanted to prevent another unhelpful piece of 'percieved wisdom' entering the cosmos.