PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Theory Exams - My experience
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2011, 12:18
ct8282

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree with the above, although strangely for me I did not find Air Law too much of a slog. I actually found it relatively interesting, especially when I got to learning about Flight Levels, the Quadrantal Rule etc etc, but then I am an Electronics Engineer by trade (although I have been a sales manager for the last 3 years) and so my mind is technically and mathematically biased. I enjoy having things to work through and work out as it were.

Although I am off to Cambridge to get Flight Planning, Aircraft General, and Nav completed this weekend I have started reading up about Aircraft General, and so I make no apologies for the following generalised comment about all of the subjects:

Quite simply if you put the time in, and study the material thoroughly you will do very well in the exams. Unfortunately nobody really likes exams, me included, but there are 7 that have to be passed, and if you want to be a pilot you just have to do them. I do not believe that this flying hobby should be taken lightly as it is unique and privileged skill (I think I read somewhere once that only 0.2% of the population have a PPL) and is heavily dependent on many rules, regulations, and safety considerations.
There are many people who just want to scrape and rush through the tests as quickly as possible to get their license done but ultimately this might lead to less knowledgeable and less safe pilots in the skies. I would say if you are serious about flying you will have the drive to put the require time in to the study side of things. I know it's difficult and painful at times, and that some people pick things up much quicker than others, but persevere and put the required time into the theory and you will have nothing to worry about in the tests.

P.S - I was sent an email by a fellow PPRUNE member which I have inadvertently deleted. If you sent the email please send me a PM or another email.