PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR Revisited ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2011, 10:49
mosquito077

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GrahamO,

Have you lost the plot? Your arguement appears to run, soldiers getting killed on the ground today therefore must buy new kit to prevent that happening therefore must scrap well developed projects from RAF and RN? Please tell if I have got that wrong?

You then additionally indicate general public will not tolerate soldiers being killed and vaguely connect that with scrapping Nimrod Mr4a (which I think has had some 8 billion invested - not sure of exact sum but I know it is huge).

Come on Graham please step back a minute? Everyone is appalled at any loss in Afganistan but some of these platforms could make a difference in that war and as we see on a daily basis coping with future conflict.
What money is not being spent on every form of technology to look after all the troops on the ground (and I include from all 3 services)? I suspect no matter how much money is spent the IED is going to remain the threat to folk on the ground. Perhaps do some reading up on the Vietnam war as well - money spent, technology versus simple insurgent tactics?
Your arguement as you admit is simplistic but so much so it is dangerous. May I suggest do not belittle your brothers in arms but set your targets on why there is not enough money (now) and how UK spends money in many other areas (now and in the future). I am not in a position to fully understand how MOD got itself in such a mess but I suspect some senior officers and CS's should be blushing.

As one of posters made clear future conflicts are going to be very differant and come 2014 the axe will be swinging your way. The key will be flexible agile forces - Land armies of 95000 which can only deploy a fraction of that will be well and truly fairly game for the people in suits (at that point).

To finish - why don't you ask the general public whom you seem to know so well, will they pay 2p or 3p more income tax per pound to help buy new kit in Afghanistan - why do you think politicians have ducked that issue - because it is not a vote winner perhaps? SDSR was nothing more than a rushed botched stampede to save money quickly (front load the pain so the voters forget in 4/5 years time). All of defence has suffered stupid cuts, the severity for the Army has been a little more delayed due to Afghanistan..........

Mos