PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5th C-17 for RAAF
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2011, 08:28
Barry Bernoulli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OZ said,

because the more taps the more risks, the more time, the more crews, more damage to the strips, more maintenance, more costs and therefore the less time for more tasks, more rest......
Like the reason we got C17 instead of more Hercs....
"the more risk": risk is a function (multiple)of likelihood of an event and outcome of an event. If you operate a smaller capacity aircraft into an airfield, then the risk will typically be reduced by the square or better of the reduction; for example, the putting a -8 into an airfield that is marginal for B737 may halve the likelihood of an overrun accident. It will also halve the consequence (half the px, half the price etc). So, for the same risk exposure I can put twice the pax through the airport.

"more crews" agreed, but they come into the total cost model, so if they're affordable, why not?

"more damage to strips". Bollocks! If a bridge on a highway says '20t limit', I can run an 18 ton truck over it as often as I want (based on the maintenance and inspection schedule for the bridge), but I may damage it if I put a 25t truck across it. Impact is an inverse function of load.

"more maintenance". What does that mean? More effort, more money, more down time? It is only a factor if it adversely affects productivity. Look at the total cost model.

"more costs". I suggest you compare operating cost models. I would like to see an analysis that supports this.

"less time for more tasks" I don't understand.

"more rest", for who?

A couple of other points.

- To add, say, 10t to the cargo capacity of a vehicle, you generally have to add substantially more than 10t to the gross weight in engineering of the vehicle; ie: you add weight to carry weight; eg, to carry 10t more payload you will be putting 20t more into the strip each movement. That kills pavements.

- the argument for more payload is only relevant if you need to deliver the payload. What is the demand across that sector? Its a bit pointless putting a 767 into Rockhampton because you can if you are only going to have an average pax load of 75.

- more taps (flights) = more choices for the customer. They can travel at 5:00pm rather than 4:00pm. Couriers have more options to make a flight for critical consignments. Customers like that!

I reckon that what is happening is like FedEX letting the truck drivers choose the fleet instead of the distribution managers. That would see FedEx trying to squeeze a Kenworth K200 B-double down a suburban street near you. "Here is your jiffy back Maam, sorry about the Magnolia and your kerb...but damn she's a nice rig eh?" or "Hello Maam, I left your jiffy bag down at the corner of Bruce Hwy and Main Street 'cause I couldn't make the turn, but damn I've got a lot of jiffy bags".

Last edited by Barry Bernoulli; 10th Mar 2011 at 18:00.