PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC120
Thread: EC120
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2011, 07:10
Arrrj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day John (and others), this is a very interesting read for me, as I am (too) looking to upgrade my R44 Raven II (great machine) for something that can take 4 adults (2 x 90kg and 2 x 70kg), 2 sets of golf sticks, and overnight bags & (!) full fuel. We live in Australia...it's a big place.

I have been lucky enough to fly the new R66 (it is very nice). And have flown quite a lot of hours in EC120B, and flown Jetrangers / Squirrels and (out of my price range) A109 Grand.

My thoughts for a new aquistion have narrowed to EC120B, AS350B2 (B3, sure, if the stock market goes up dramatically !) or R66. But of course, all of these machines have positives & negatives.

The EC120B is really well made, great detail and superb to fly. It is (or the one I flew ? It was new - 2 years ago.) underpowered, and has tail rotor authority problems - or my right leg is simply not long enough on approach to a hover ?!

Squirrels are fantastic workhorses - but agricultural...even with the exec fitout.

R66 - unproven, cool to fly (even for the 20 minutes or so), doesn't look as cool as EC120B.

My pick would be the EC120 (C ?) - I have read elsewhere that EC have listened to the complaints about the 120B and will introduce a new version with more power and a FADEC. Does anyone have any details on that ?

Anyway - great reading - I wish the choice was a bit clearer or easier !

Any good information would be greatly appreciated.

Arrrj