PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIBYA (Merged) Use this thread ONLY
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2011, 06:58
Haart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Libyan NFZ: Call the Navy?

My apologies if this subject has been broached already; I may have overlooked this particular angle in my cursory search of other threads. I thought there were a few interesting ideas on a potential Libyan NFZ but here is a different angle.

Could a potential Libyan NFZ not be more effectively policed by naval vessels? Given the potency of current AD vessels (particularly Aegis, I am unsure if T45 in operational service) with sophisticated air defence radar and long range anti-aircraft missiles, a no fly zone could potentially be imposed and be 'passively' enforced by off shore naval units in lieu of the widely discussed air assets. This would have the primary benefit of potentially minimising intrusive outside offensive action against the Libyan Integrated Air Defence System (C3, SAMs, radar) that would probably be a precondition for the enforcement of a NFZ. Any overt offensive action against Gaddafi's regime would in all likelihood be spun by the government as an instance of US 'shock and awe' against an Arab country with the potential risk of dividing any united front by anti-Gaddafi countries. Further, sea-based air defence would minimise the risk of any allied personnel falling into the control of the Libyan regime by minimising our exposure to hostile Libyan action.
The geographic conditions are ideal insofar as the populated and contested areas are within a slim littoral strip that would be dominated by seaward assets. Although the lack of an 'air umbrella' would keep outside support for the anti-Gaddafi Libyan forces largely covert, AD vessels would achieve the same effect of denying Libyan air power freedom of manoeuvre. Further, naval vessels would provide less intensive round-the-clock anti-air capability than the limited endurance air forces flying from a great distance. Some air assets should be involved for instance, a more complete air picture could probably be obtained with the benefit of AWACs.
Of course, I would caveat my argument with the presumption that a no fly zone would only provide exactly that. The NFZ would probably not, in and of itself, defeat Gaddafi nor permit the anti-Gaddafi forces to succeed, all things being even. Indeed, as has been pointed out elsewhere, the presence of a no fly zone did not prevent the Srebrenica massacre and allied resolve would be tested by the temptation to take more active measures should defeat of anti-Gaddafi forces loom.

But as a means of achieving a specific aim, could an Aegis Class cruiser or a T-42 be of greater utility than a F-15 or Typhoon?