PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR Revisited ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2011, 21:00
GrahamO

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
@ Door Slider

Very very simplistic and a bit stupid too. By your rational, since the AAC and CHF have lost less people in Iraq and the Stan than the RAF then they too should be disbanded???
I did say it was simplistic, but you have avoided answering the main point. If you have a fixed sum of money would you be happy, and I mean happy, to tell the wife of a fallen soldier on the ground that he died in a substandard vehicle, or incomplete body armour, so that the RAF could keep some assets which might one day be important, in a theoretical threat, but today are not going to save lives ?

To answer your questions though, yes, I would if I had the above choice, as long as it would save more lives than the closure would cause. To do otherwise would be stupid.

Tough call.

Not stupid at all. The government is not solely driven by RAF priorities and demands - they are elected by us, and sometimes that means that saving lives today is more important than a worry about tomorrow.

Thats the bit a lot of flying chaps seem to struggle with - the RAF can big up all their self-importance but today, on the ground, the public do understand and don't agree that RAF toys for tomorrow programmes are more important than lives being lost. If the RAF were actually fighting an air war, the situation would be very different, but its not.