PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this Fair?
Thread: Is this Fair?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2011, 18:07
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Geehovah, I couldn't agree more!

As far as Pilots go (and I do know that many other loyal servicemen/women have been equally shafted by SDSR, if not more so), the RAF must come up with an 'equivalence' proposal which can ease transition to civil flying. There are 2 distinct issues here:

1. SDSR
2. EASA part-FCL

The first issue means that many highly talented pilots will be out of a military flying appointment. Any sensible airline of quality will bend over backwards to attract them as they are infinitely better future employees than pilots who have never been aptitude tested. But the second issue is something which the RAF owes to all its pilots to accommodate and which is also a significant recruiting and retention incentive - which, although not crucial right now, most surely will be in a few years' time!

Good luck; I know darn well that pretty well 100% of those chopped at Valley of late are of much higher quality than I ever was. I just had to know how to keep a Gnat airborne for 50 min without killing myself - you've had vastly more complex mission profiles to cope with.

Interestingly, I heard yesterday that the dumbing down of core skills has now trickled through to CFS. It seems that a large number of skills which any military pilot used to have are now having to be re-taught to some CFS students. To which I have to say "I told you this would happen!"...