PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this Fair?
Thread: Is this Fair?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2011, 17:38
Geehovah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hachet Harry

What's fair got to do with it?

The world doesn't owe anybody a living and the MOD is no different. A sad time without doubt and those affected have my deepest sympathies, but legal action?

Like that Harrier chap who was reported to have had a dig at the PM over the axing of his fleet. He was reported to have said words to the effect of 'What about me'! Well yes, what about you?

I realise that this post will make me sound cold and heartless and for that I apologise. My point is that we all need to wake up to the 'new world' and realise that although this is not fair, neither is life in general.
For me this sums up the difference between the Air Force that I joined and the one that I left recently, although Hachet Harry may just be fishing. I hope I didn't just take "a living" from what I did during my time. When I joined the Services, I saw it as a lifetime commitment. I didn't wonder what would happen tomorrow; I worked towards being operational and then becoming productive as a supervisor and trainer and took it as it came. If Her Majesty said go; I went. As I progressed, I didn't agree with all the policy; I muttered in my cups over much of it. I changed some of it but most of these youngsters are not so lucky. What is being forced on them is a job.

If that is the way we are going, then lets see revised terms of service. It will then be a brave PM who questions those who choose not to offer the "ultimate sacrifice" as those who have gone before have been prepared to offer. Is it a job or are we serving the Nation? The two are not the same!

It may be approaching decision time for many. Do those who still care choose service or self preservation? I do hope I'm not being over melodramatic.

Last edited by Geehovah; 9th Mar 2011 at 17:55.