PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria helicopter crash: tributes and condolences
Old 9th Mar 2011, 17:18
fisbangwollop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I have had time to get my thoughts together I would like to say a few words. I first met Mark through my ATC job at Scottish Information. He would call me on a daily basis as he comuted the short distance from his home to the mine in his Gazelle YUHEI, later to be replaced by another Gazelle HALFB.Although at times we only spoke for a few minutes we drummed up a real aviation friendship....many times he would ask when are you coming to visit?? Eventually one day both my Wife and myself pitched up at the mine, although busy he dropped everything and spent the next 2 hours with us. We were bundled into a Jeep and driven up the mountain side and into the mine. He then took us into this huge ampitheatre that had been quarried out and hopefully one day was going to be his dream and turned into some sort of musical experiance. Then it was back down the mountain and we were shown how roof slates were fashioned by hand.
From the moment I met him I realised what a great guy he was.....so full of enthusiasm for everything, especially the mine, aviation and off course his cherished family. If I wanted to model myself on the nicest person in the world Mark would be that person.
Mark toiled long hours alone using his bear hands and turned that mine around from being disused to the huge tourist attraction it is today bringing much needed employment to the local area.
Only 4 days ago we spoke as he flew around over the Lakes, indeed he helped me out by relaying to an aircraft that I had lost contact with.
To be honest I am still in shock, as I guess many of his friends will be......one thing for sure I am glad my life was brightened by meeting such a lovely and friendly and enthusiastic person....the airwaves of Scottish Info will never be the same again without his cheery voice to cheer us all up on a gloomy day...... RIP my friend.