PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA Updates on EASA
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2011, 16:47
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a JAA ATPL which will be an EASA compliant licence. I own an Annex II Cessna 170B which is non EASA. What licence do I need in 2012 to fly it in UK.

I also fly an N reg turbo prop single on my FAA CPL/IR, nothing mentioned in CAA blurb, so assume N Reg etc in Europe still to be decided by EASA.
1. Your JAA ATPL will not be an EASA compliant licence, however you will be able to exchange it for an EASA one which will be valid to fly EASA and non-EASA aircraft registered in the EU.

2. AIUI the proposal is that if the operator of the non EU registered a/c (in your case N Reg) aircraft is resident or established in the EU then you will need a licence validation or an EASA licence that would entitle you to fly the a/c. In your case it seems academic because you will hold an EASA ATPL.

Quite where this leaves someone with an FAA IR flying an N Reg Cirrus operated by someone resident in or established in the EU is a bit of a mystery. The situation is not uncommon.

The intention is that validation will only be for a max of one year so:-
Pilot X can fly on his FAA ticket under the privileges of his FAA IR for up to a year.
Thereafter his FAA licence will not be valid to fly that particular a/c and he'll be required to have an EASA licence. If his FAA licence is not valid to fly the a/c then where does it leave his IR capability?

Although his FAA licence is no longer valid to fly that a/c it would still be valid for flying an identical a/c in the EU that is operated by someone not resident in the EU.

I don't think they've quite thought through the concept of an "operator". In the case of CAT it's not an issue, it's the holder of the AOC but in the case of a private flight what's the answer?